One of Norfolk’s secret place and described as the kind of delightful surprise that can only exist in England. The moat dates from 1150 and is one of only a handful of complete moats in Norfolk.
The house was built by Martin Hastings, a courtier to Henry Fitzroy, the illegitimate son of Henry VIII, using stone from the local monasteries which were then being dissolved. The tour lasts two hours and includes tea and cakes at the end
Mrs Lynda Tucker will conduct a tour inside the house on the ground floor, detailing its inhabitants and their travails over the last 500 years.
Mr Charles Tucker will conduct a tour outside showing the architectural features of the house and explaining how and why the moat and associated fish ponds were built some 900 years ago. The moat dates from around 1150 and the bridge over the moat and house itself date back to 1538.